Jul 28, 2011

DIY Project: Fabric Flowers

A few weeks ago I was playing around with some leftover fabric I had lying around, and I thought I'd try my hand at some fabric flowers. I've seen some reeeallly cute ideas for rosettes on skirts, purses, and other things, so tonight I decided to make a necklace! It was really easy:

First, cut four large squares (about 3x3 inches) out of any material you want.
Then, cut four slightly smaller squares (2x2-ish).
Next, cut all of the squares into circles. The key here is to not be precise - you don't want all the circles to be exactly the same size or perfect in shape.
Then, place the four larger circles on top of one another, with the four smaller ones on top, into one big stack of fabric circles.
Finally, fold the stack in half and hand-sew them in place. Fold it in half the opposite way and sew again, to pucker the flower.

And there you have it! I made five flowers and sewed them onto a long ribbon to wear as a necklace.

And look - it doubles as a belt! Don't you just love two-for-one deals?


I was feeling pretty proud of this until I searched google images for fabric flowers to show you and saw some freakishly adorable necklaces and other goodies that looked waaayyyy better than what I made. Serves me right for thinking too highly of my sewing skills. Oops! Oh well, you gotta start somewhere, right? Here are some other ways to use a fabric rosette that I'll definitely be trying out more and more.









Happy DIY-ing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment